Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Little Taste of Home

by Debbie

Two months ago if I had walked into the supermercado and seen Safeway Select ketchup, I would have scoffed at how far the fingers of the United States can stretch. I would have turned up my nose at it and chosen one of the local brands to enhance my Chilean experience. That would have been two months ago, yesterday was a different story. It is an understatement to say the quality of food here leaves much to be desired. Simple things that shouldn´t taste bad can send your stomach into knots and pains for days. For example, what could have been a delicious veggie wrap was ruined by too much mayonnaise which made it taste uncomfortably fishy. My stomach gurgled for a good 24 hours. I find myself trying to get creative in the kitchen and put meals together I wouldn´t dream of at home, such as minestrone soup mix (dried packaged soup mix) with rice and pasta and heck throw some tomatoes and peppers in! The outcome was a disgusting, grey, golash concoction; again, sick for a day. I realize how easy it is to take for granted the comforts of home when in the United States, little things like digesting food hold a lot more merit to me now.

So, when we walked into the store with our hopes smashed of eating a decent meal, you can imagine how excited I was to see the familiar brand of Safeway Select ketchup sitting amidst the local brands which are doused with sugar. I grabbed it and hugged it to my chest and gave Cam the look that dared him to defy me this one comfort food. (I never thought I would think of ketchup as a comfort food!) We based the whole meal around what we could put the ketchup on, and it was the best hamburguesa and papas fritas I´ve ever eaten; although all I could taste was the ketchup, but I can honestly say that ketchup has never tasted so good! Kim I think I hopped on your bandwagon.

I can again look forward to meal time with the anticipation of the Safeway Select 4 Cheese Pasta sauce!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

What a great story! I'm glad you were able to find a little taste of home, and hope that you find more such foods often enough to have a frequently settled stomach! :)

Jamie

Anonymous said...

I remember missing ketchup too; although I couldn't even find bad versions in India! Another thing that I missed was peanut butter. May simple reminders of home get you (and your stomach) through the tough days! Much love!

ginalee said...

Sweetie, enjoy each and every one of these experiences. At first when you return to the US, you will be so happy to be home, the thought of missing that life wouldn't cross your mind. However, after some time has past you will look back and long for those simple yet challenging moments. I am so happy for you two. This experience will hold the two of you together in an unexplainable way. ENJOY!